Arakan News Agency
The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCHR) on Monday condemned the “brutal security operation” against Rohingya Muslims in Arakan state of Myanmar, which he said was “disproportionate” to attacks by the Rohingya rebels last month.
Prince Zeid told the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva that more than 270,000 people had fled to Bangladesh and more were stranded at the border amid reports of villages being burned and extrajudicial killings.
“I call on the government to end its current brutal military operation while taking responsibility for all the violations that have occurred and to change the widespread pattern of discrimination against the Rohingya population … The situation has become an example of ethnic cleansing,” he added.





