August 19, 2026

Human Rights Watch: Myanmar army has burned Rohingya houses

13 December 2016

burma1216_mapb-01-660x330

“Human Rights Watch” an International human rights organization said on Tuesday that the army in Myanmar burned 1,500 houses, at least, which belongs to Rohingya minority in Arakan State torn apart by conflict.

“The new findings refute the Burmese military and government’s claims that Rohingya militants were responsible for burning down their own villages,” said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch. “The satellite imagery and eyewitness interviews clearly point the finger at the military for setting these buildings ablaze.”

 He said “Human Rights Watch” The new photographs taken by satellites have shown a “systematic destruction of buildings in villages in the three cases, after it was reported that government forces came under attack in the region, suggesting that the fire arson was in retaliation.”

This is the third time in a month in when the human rights organizations has warns against use of arson conflict area in Arakan.

The government had claimed earlier that residents of the region are the individuals who burned their own homes in order to obtain international aid.

Arakan is one of the most impoverished states of Myanmar, has seen religious violence erupted between Buddhists and Muslims since 2012, and caused the death of hundreds of people and the displacement of more than 100 thousand people.

Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi, Myanmar’s state counselor and Nobel Peace laureate faces increasing international pressure to resolve the humanitarian crisis in the country.

Share
×