August 18, 2026

Arakan (Rakhine) commission requests extension for final report

1 February 2017

Arakan News Agency

The deadline for the presidentially appointed Maungdaw Investigation Commission to submit its concluding report has been extended, with the group saying more time is needed to examine recent claims.
A statement issued by the President’s Office said the commissioner had requested more time before filing the report “due to new human rights allegations”.
Maungdaw Investigation Commission secretary U Zaw Myint Phay told The Myanmar Time news agency that no new deadline has been set.
He added that the report had been close to being finalized, however the emergence of additional allegations made it necessary for the task force to investigate further.
“We are working hard day and night. But many [new] things about the Arakan situation are appearing and we need more time for finding out whether the [apparent] situation is true or not,” he said.
The 13-member commission is headed by vice president U Myint Swe, a former military intelligence chief. The commission was appointed to investigate what prompted the lethal attacks on border guard posts in northern Arakan State and to provide recommendations for preventing future violence.

Share
×